Thursday, June 25, 2009

Freshman For President

Before I get to the shameless promotion of this book I do have some serious thoughts.

I enjoy a good book. In the past I have been drawn to various authors. Some of my favorite authors over the years have been Michael Crichton, John Grisham, F. Paul Wilson, Dan Brown and Robin Cook. When I find a good book I generally tend to stay with that particular author for a while. This worked well for a while, but during the past decade things haven't been going so well. I still enjoy these books, but like everything else in this world the content in some of these authors' newer books (and some of the older books as well) is the type of thing that I would never watch in a movie theater. While I have the rating system (pathetic as it is) to guide me when watching movies it takes a lot more effort to actually find out whether a particular book has 1, 2 or 17 gratuitous sex scenes and I don't particularly enjoy getting to page 76 only to find a slew of swear words that make me cringe (it's much better when it happens on page 2 and I can just stop reading the book).

It was this dilemna that actually led me to the Twilight books. I know the books will be clean and at least a little bit enjoyable (okay I liked the first one more than I thought I would and will probably listen to the second one when I can get the CDs from the library). I don't have to worry about all the stuff that offends me. That's right folks I am one of those people who is offended by the world out there.

It is in this spirit that I introduce you to another author whose books I will soon read (I feel like this paragraph started the same way the last one did and I don't like it, but for the moment I don't know quite how to change it): Allyson B Condie. Some of you may have heard of some of her books seen here. You can also read about the books on her webpage.

Now if I were to tell you that Ally was my sister it would detract from the credibility of my recommendation here. She's not my sister, but she is having a drawing for 4 copies of her new book to be given out on the 4th of July and this post increases my chances of winning. You can check that out here.

Seriously though, if you are anything like me and enjoy a good read but tire of having to sift through all the garbage that is out there nowadays I encourage you to check out Allyson's books.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I have loved and enjoyed all of Ally's books too - this one is just tons of fun. Good luck in the drawing

Allyson Condie said...

Jacob, you did it. I didn't think you would! Your check--I mean book--is in the mail. :)

Jake said...

Of course I did it. My blog, my rules!

I guess it's Melissa's blog too, but she kind of usurped it from me anyway.