Monday, June 22, 2009

Saturday Sun and Lesson Learned

Jacob had his "Golden Weekend" (Saturday and Sunday off) so we headed to the beach. We forgot the camera but I figure we have posted quite a few beach pictures. You get the idea anyhow. 2 pasty white parents play with 3 kids, 2 that are pasty white and one who is not pasty white and makes the rest of us look even more pasty white, while one pasty white baby sleeps.

The beach was a blast. All the usual activities were enjoyed. There was sand castle making followed by sand castle destroying. Spencer and Jessi enjoyed chasing the waves while Kristian preferred to stay warm and practice his army crawl through the sand. Everyone was buried and there was even a tunnel built and then promptly flooded. And Kami slept through it all. (She really is a great baby)

After a long day at the beach we all headed back to change and head home. We promptly learned while changing that the sun was particularly hot that day and our one application of sun block didn't quite cut it. The kids got a little sun, nothing that has bothered them, which I am very grateful for. Jacob and I are quite a different story.

Jacob learned that when you go in the water repetitively it is best to reapply sunscreen, especially to your back. He looks like a lobster. I learned that it is probably good to have someone older than 6 put sunblock on your back. We were in a hurry to get to the water so I asked Spencer to just spray some on for me rather than wait for Jacob, who was changing. Apparently he didn't want to get any on my suit because the middle of my back is still pasty white. All around that pasty white area is rather red. Will we ever learn?? On the way home Jacob and I decided that the spray 30 stuff is no longer for us and we are going back to the white pasty mess of 50. Here is hoping we will have some more beach trips to put this new found knowledge into practice.

1 comment:

Amber Lee said...

Isn't it fun to live so near a beach? I do miss that about Wilmington. Sorry about the sunburns. I, however, am very grateful for the spray stuff. Sooo much faster and easier than the "white pasty mess."
I love how your sentence structures make you sound like President Monson in conference! :-) Fun was had by all. lol