Tuesday, December 4, 2007

We want a playoff

It's no secret that I hate the BCS. This year is quite possibly the worst ever. Now I'm not one to say that any team other than OSU and LSU deserve to be in the championship game (except for Hawaii, but that's another can of worms), but are those two teams really that much better than everybody else? Sure I think LSU is the best team in the country, but could they beat OU or USC right now. Ohio State only has one loss, but the little 10 is the worst of the BCS conferences this year. Do they really deserve a chance at the title more than a one-loss Kansas?

As far as Hawaii goes I get sick to my stomach when I think about them. They can do no more than win all of their games. Too bad the Florida game starts out next season instead of this one. My biggest complaint with the BCS is that until it is abolished no mid major will ever win the national championship because the voters just won't put them that high. Consider that the 1984 BYU Cougars won the national championship by cruising through the WAC (isn't that the conference that Hawaii plays in?) and beating Utah State, Pittsburgh, Tulsa, and Michigan none of whom were ranked in the top 10 at the end of the year, though Pitt was ranked #3 when they played the first game of the season (Funny that Michigan was ranked #5 at the beginning of this season how did that turn out?). That schedule wouldn't make the championship game today because all the voters come from the BCS conferences and they wouldn't put them up there. We all know I like to diminish BYU football in any way I can, but they did win in 84 and the fact that that probably wouldn't happen today is a shame. One more point, those 84 Cougars were unranked at the beginning of the season. Hawaii climbed from 23 all the way to 10 during their undefeated season this year.

In the end Hawaii will lose to Georgia, Kansas will lose Va Tech, and Ohio State will somehow beat LSU because the BCS always seems to work out (5% of the time). Who's gonna argue against the Buckeyes if they're the only one-loss team in DIV-I football (except for Hawaii of course).

On a side note My test went well today and I'm looking forward to flying back to Salt Lake for Kristian's birthday tomorrow.

No comments: