So my solo was Thursday night, and I can not tell you how great Friday was without that hanging over my head. So if any of you are curious how it went I will attempt to illustrate the evening.
First off, I don't know what the costume lady was thinking. I am supposed to be dressed as a Nephite Woman. Jacob and I decided that I looked a more like MC Hammer crossed with The Chiquita Banana Lady. The pictures turned out poor but this might give you a general idea of what I looked like. Got to love the headdress, huh. It weighed like 10 pounds.
As part of the program they asked us all to sit on stools in front of the stage during the performance which turned out to be rather stressful as every time I looked up everyone was starting at me. (at least it felt like everyone was starting at me.) So the whole time I am trying to breath deap and stay calm and clear my throat. None of this actually happened.
So finally my music started playing. Luckily, as my song is sung to a child, I got to grab Spencer and bring him up with me. So then I am at the microphone and notice that all that stressing about clearing my throat was for not because now my throat was bone dry. (I don't know how that happens but it blew me away.)
Spencer held my hand and I began singing. Basically the rest of the song went fine. I did not forget any of the words, or get of pitch, or off the music at all, so that was good. I did however have to sing rather soft as my nerves were getting the best of me and I knew if I tried to sing any louder I would definatly crack. After what seemed like an eternity the song ended, I sat down, and began to breath again.
Afterwards several people came up to me and said I did great, (of course, it is a church function, what else are they going to say.) They all mentioned that it must be diffucult to sing a song that is so emotionally charged and they could tell I was feeling very emotional when singing. I didn't bother to correct them that it was nerves and not emotions, I figure let people think what they want to.
The other comment that I got from people was that it must also be difficult to sing while trying to keep my little boy still. I didn't bother to correct them on that either. The truth was that between the first and second verse Spencer looked up at me and said, "Mom, you are squeezing me to tight" He really was a big help to me to hide some of my nerves.
So to wrap up this rambling post, for my first solo, I think it went about par. I am still a little dissapointed because it did not sound as good as when I practiced at home, but what ya gonna do. Nerves are nerves. Everyone keeps telling me it will be easier next time. At this point, I have not decided if there will be a next time. I figure I will just enjoy this feeling of no singing stress for a while before deciding if I want to go through all of it again.
4 comments:
So when are you going to put up the video of your performance. It would be great to see you in action once again...wait I don't think I ever saw you in action...It would be great to see you in action for a first time.
I did not know you had a son named Kristian...it is a dangerous game you are playing giving him that name. Speaking from experience you are in for some sass during his teenage years.
When you do decide, you HAD BETTER decide that there will be a next time!
Most of the time when I sing, it sounds better when I practice at home then when I perform it. AND, if I'm really nervous, one muscle in my cheek starts to twich and so I feel like I look like I'm having an epileptic seizure or something. I've asked people I trust about it though, and everyone has alwasy said that they couldn't tell. So, either it's not noticeable, or everyone is lying to me. I'm going to believe the first for now.
Anyway, "everyone" is right. It will be MUCH easier the next time, and even easier the time after that. Even better, as you do it more and more, each time won't be as emotionally charged. So, you'll care less, which ironically will make it so you'll be able to stay out of your own way, and you'll do even better.
Even though it gets easier and less nerve-wracking though, there is always something special about the scary-ness and excitement, and the "Gee-I-wonder-if-I-can-really-do-this-ness" of your first solo. I'm so glad you've had yours.
(All the people who read this and don't know me are going to think, "Who does that girl think she is? Like she's an expert or something? Puleeeeze!")
(Actually, even some of the people who do know me might read this and think that same thing. Oh well.)
Love you!
Kris,
If there was a video floating around of it I am pretty sure I would destroy it. I look bad enough in a blurred picture. I think someone mentioned there was a CD made of it, but I don't know how hard I will work to track it down :) Kristian is a sweetheart, as I am sure you were. And your little one is adorable. I was looking at the photos on your blog. Too Cute!!
Char,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. And I would say you are an expert without question. I am glad I did it and with each passing day I tend to dread it a little less, so I guess all I can say is, We Will See.
Post a Comment