Friday, April 23, 2010

Spencerism and the NBA

Yesterday we left Spencer in charge of the house while Melissa and I drove to our neighbors house to pick up a futon.  We were gone less than 10 minutes.  When I left I told Spencer I was going to ask Jessi and Kristian if he was a good baby sitter and I told Jessi and Kristian that I was going to ask Spencer if they were good for him.  Upon our return the following conversation ensued.

Me: "Spencer, how were the kids?"

Spencer: "Great"

Me: "Jessi, was Spencer a good babysitter?"

Jessi: "He was awesome dad."

At this time Kristian is silently sobbing on the couch.

Me: "Nader, why are you crying?"

Kristian: "I don't want the tornado to come"

Me in a little more serious voice: "Spencer, what's he talking about?"

Spencer: "We couldn't get the movie working so I taught Jessi and Kristian that if a tornado comes while you and mom are gone we need to get in the crawl space so it doesn't swoosh us away."

If any of you are looking for a babysitter Spencer is charging a premium for his emergency education services.

On to the NBA.  David Stern had this to say concerning coaches griping about the officiating and I say amen. Maybe I should have put this first so you had to read it before the Spencer story.

"I wish I had it to do all over again, and starting 20 years ago, I'd be suspending Phil and Pat Riley for all the games they play in the media, because you guys know that our referees go out there and they knock themselves out and do the best job they can. We have coaches who will do whatever it takes to try to work them publicly," Stern said. "What that does is erode fan confidence, and then we get some of the situations that we have. So, our coaches should be quiet because this is a good business that makes them good livings and supports a lot of families, and if they don't like, they should go get a job someplace else."



3 comments:

Robert said...

I'm sure once Charlotte reads this she will be fondly remembering the times when while babysitting she had us sit in the concrete stairwell in the garage because she was sure that for the first time in recorded history a tornado was going to tear through the center of Cedar City UT.

Charlotte said...

Robert! You beat me to it! What you all don't remember is that it was only one time that we all had to hide in the stairwell, and I had good reason. There were tumbleweeds, newspapers, AND cardboard boxes blowing down the street! If that's not a tornado warning sign, I don't know WHAT is!

Good old Spencer. He's holding up his role as oldest child quite well. Now I just need to inject a little paranoia into Kaylee, Marian, Kamree, and Daxton, and my work will be done.

Nathan said...

I found that a hilarious story, Spencer is a good baby sitter isn't he.