So yesterday was Jacob's 32nd birthday and not the most exciting birthday you could imagine. Jacob was on call Wednesday so he got home on Thursday around 1:00. He managed about 4 hours of sleep so that was a plus. He was probably dreading coming home due to the voicemail of a sick wife (Yes, I have been sick since Sunday afternoon and am a little bitter about it) , trying to hold back the tears, asking him to pick up some sudafed on the way home. And that is what he found when he got home too.
No birthday cake and dinner waiting, no happy hugs and kisses, just a small attempt at a smile and then "Can you please get me a glass of water so I can take some of that medicine now!" After a chat with his parents, (which ended abruptly because he got a page he had to answer, he forgot to give his pager to the on-call resident) we both attempted a nap which went over kind of, the kind of due to Kristian deciding he didn't need a nap.
By 5 the sudafed was starting to kick in enough for me to feel about 10% human so I managed to get online and order Jacob's favorite pan pizza from pizza hut that we even had delivered. I figure hey, it was his birthday, he deserves a splurge and it was that or cereal.
We opened presents while waiting for the pizza to arrive, which Jacob played up for the kids, even though they had already told him about 2 weeks ago what I had bought for him. Surprises don't last long with a 6 and 3 year old. We then enjoyed watching his new DVD as a family all snuggled on the bed. Now we are thinking we need a king :)
And that about summed up his birthday. Oh, Doug called just before we went to bed which was nice because Jacob finally got to talk to someone about baseball and steroids. We have attempted this conversation but I think Doug gave him more of the feedback he was looking for.
So it wasn't the perfect birthday and defiantly not what I had in mind a week ago, but we salvaged it the best we could. Happy Birthday Sweetheart!! I love you!!
1 comment:
we love our king size bed! Cant imagine being without it. And with 4 kids, I think you deserve one! I am glad you are enjoying the tv in your room! We have done both, the tv in our room, and the tv out. I like having it in the room for the sake of not fighting over the couch. (I always win) Anyway, with that new baby, I think you will love that tv. :)
Post a Comment