So during some of my downtime (both downtime from work and downtime psychologically) last night I surfed the internet to find studies about resident burnout and depression. There's a little mnemonic that is often used for depression, SIGECAPS.
Sleep Disorder - check
Interest deficit - up for debate
Guilt - check (I feel guilty when I'm not studying during my downtime)
Energy deficit - check (this comes from the sleep disorder)
Concentration deficit - not really
Appetite Disorder - check, check (have I mentioned my 15 pound weight loss in July and again this month, if I can combine that with some exercise I might actually get down to a healthier weight come June)
Psychomotor retardation or agitation - check (very agitated, and I often feel retarded in rounds)
Suicidality - check (just kidding).
So how can I cope with this stress? The internet had answers for me! What did people do before google? One article said the following 5 categories were essential for maintaining wellness.
1. Relationships: this category includes relationships with friends, family, colleagues, and community;
2. Religion/spirituality: this includes involvement in organized religion as well as meditation or prayer;
3. Self-care: make time to take care of you! This category includes hobbies, exercise, good nutrition, avoidance of drugs and alcohol, personal counseling and treatment of depression. Don't forget to have fun!
4. Work: we need to find ways to make our work more meaningful and satisfactory for ourselves. Ideas include suggesting shift schedules that are more circadian friendly, adopting a night float system, debriefing difficult cases with others at work, and planning wellness events with other residents; and
5. Approaches to life: it's important to be generally positive about the journey you are on, maintaining balance, and focusing on your successes.Each of us is different, but here are some quick ideas for enhancing your personal wellness:
- Develop a personal philosophy and prioritize your goals;
- Maintain healthy relationships and set aside time with those people to talk about your feelings;
- Take care of yourself by eating right, exercising, sleeping when you can, and doing the things that make you YOU!
- Find something about each day that brings you joy, including joy at work, such as a positive patient interaction or learning pearl;
- Block off times in your schedule for important things such as family time, exercise, or social events, and make sure you prioritize them;
- Appreciate your accomplishments and growth during this time;
- Learn to say "no" to commitments that are not important to you (although they may be important to someone else), so that you can say "yes" to those that are important to you; and
- Learn where your resources are and don't hesitate to use them.
Now I know not too many of you who read this blog are residents (excepting Jon of course), but I'm sure all of you probably deal with stress in your lives too. In addition to that you are probably good at a few of the 9 things in the middle of the list. So if you feel so inclined I'm curious to know how you (or those you know) do well at those things, especially during the winter months.
1 comment:
First of all--I have a light therapy light -thanks to some advice I got from you. This is the second winter that I've used it, and I truly think that those 15 minutes every morning make a world of difference in how I feel for the rest of the day.
I read a chapter of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" about every other day. I don't do everything suggested there, but just reading it helps me get a little bit of a reality check most days. (Chapters are 1-2 small pages long. Reading one often takes less than a minute.)
I take a bubble bath at least twice a week for about 15 minutes after I've put Heather down for the night. It's only 15 minutes, but some days it's like a little treat that I can anticipate all day long. (That's girlie I know--but maybe you have a favorite book/magazine you can read or some other little indulgence that you can do for 15 mintues a couple of times a week.)
One time when I was going through a really discouraging time (on my mission), mom told me that I should sing when I was feeling down. It works for me for sure.
And probably the most important thing (other than prayer and relationships, which you've already got covered),Nearly every day I take about 2 minutes to write down something for which I'm grateful. The trick here is to think about it in some detail, rather than just writing, "I'm grateful for food.", or "I'm grateful for the gospel." I learned that as I got a little more thoughtful about the good things I had, my natural response was to spend my days looking for and recognizing the things that I could write down in the gratitufe journal. It changed my outlook, and made my life better.
For example: Yesterday Eric and I went to see a movie together. Because Heather is so freaking adorable, and because we have awesome friends who love babies, we didn't have to pay for childcare. Furthermore, Eric was given 2 free movie tickets from the lumberyard for Christmas, so we didn't have to pay for the the movie. Because of all that savings, we were able to get the tub of expensive-as-gold-but-so-devlishly-delicious-movie-theatre- popcorn, and I didn't feel the least bit guilty about it. Heaven! (The movie was pretty good too. Coraline, FYI)
Okay, this is now officially too long for a comment. So, I'm ending it. Love you.
Post a Comment