Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I love the World Cup

As you may have noticed from previous emails and posts I tend to have a difficult time when it comes to sports. Growing up a Corry I was branded with a Dodger’s stamp shortly after that other newborn procedure. The origination of my Dolphin’s fanhood is a little murky but it is nonetheless deep-rooted in history. My devotion in the college ranks has changed since I was a boy, but I am still stuck rooting for a midmajor team from the mountain west. While I have tried for years to profess my undying devotion to an NBA franchise other than the Jazz, I just can’t do it.

It has been my lot in life to be the fan of the team that was almost great. The last time the Dodgers won the world series was 1988 (I can remember vividly that NLCS and World Series, but that story is for another time). Now I’m not comparing the Dodgers to the Cubs or anything, but if only my dad had grown up a Yankees fan my life would be completely different. As far as the Dolphins go I could have easily chosen to follow every other Utah fan and root for the 49ers or the Broncos, but no I had to stay with Dan Marino’s team and that is really working out well for me. In College sports Utah went all the way to the national championship only to lose to the team that plays its home games 2 hours from my medical school so I have had to relive that horrible second half for the past 4 years. Every business in Pikeville still has the Wildcats calendar up on the wall from that fateful season. It just so happens that I was not only a fan but a Utah alumni when the Utes put together the best midmajor college football team to ever play the game. I find it somewhat unfortunate that Urban Meyer’s gift to Ute fans worldwide just happened to occur during the season when 3 BCS teams went undefeated.

Now let us talk about the Jazz. The Jazz like so many other teams of the 90’s happened to be great at the wrong time. Why couldn’t Stockton to Malone peak during the 2 years that Jordan retired (the first time)? Now again the Jazz seem to be getting to the level of an elite team. It just so happens that the western conference may have a 50 win team out of the playoffs this year. That’s terribly convenient for Utah Jazz fans.

My brother moved to Denver and the Broncos won the Super Bowl, The Rockies made it to the Series this year, the nuggets seem to be able to get any free agent they want and I believe the Avalanche won the cup while he was there (Hockey? Come on). My other brother moved to Cleveland and now he gets to root for Lebron. What could be better. I spent 4 months of my mission just up the road from Boston and what do I get? An intense hatred for the Patriots and the Red Sox. It would have been so easy to just adopt those teams while I was there, but I just couldn’t do it, and now they both have championships and scandals that are the envy of every fan. We already talked about my Kentucky experience. We did live in Washington for a year, but Washington is a pathetic state for a sports fan. The place can’t even keep the Sonics and I would rather go through an other 1 win Dolphins season than claim the Seahawks as my football team.

At least I’ll always have Brazilian soccer!

No comments: