Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Progression of a call month

I am now in the second week of my first OB month. For those of you who don't know the OB month is generally brutal. We have three residents who rotate call so you are on every third day add to that my 1 half day of clinic per week and 2 half day OB clinics and you get quite a month. In addition to those we had our inservice exam last week so I had my first 100+ hour workweek.

I've noticed that my inhouse call months can generally be broken down into three portions, trimesters if you will. First I have the anxiety invoking trimester. This generally lasts at least a week, but sometimes longer (hopefully in the future I will be able to eliminate this portion). The next trimester is where I start to feel a little more comfortable, but begin to realize how much time I'm spending at the hospital. It is during this part of the month that I really miss my wife and kids. I kiss the kids each morning, as they sleep, before heading out the door. Finally, toward the end of the month I hit the fatigue trimester. This is where I start to realize how much sleep I have missed.

I am currently transitioning from the anxiety portion to the missing Melissa and the kids portion. I'm hoping the fatigue portion will be softened by the visits of my two younger brothers during the next two weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you don't know me...but Melissa and I have known each other since we were oh say 7 ish!

Good luck with your OB rotations. I'm a MA and used to work for OB/Gyn's...crazy!

John said...

I'd say your breakdown into thirds is spot on. I'd only add one thing. The code siren sends me straight back to the anxious third for hours possibly a day. I'm excited for your brother to come too. Gotta plan a fancy Italian dinner to somewhere new that I haven't been. Are you allowed to host your own brother or do they think you might give a bias review :). Three more nights.....

Jake said...

Ironically the code siren has the opposite effect when I'm on Peds or OB. It's almost music to my ears, but not quite (I still try to go to the codes, but I walk a little slower and hope I'm not the first one there).