Monday, September 1, 2008

One man's work is another man's vacation.

This is it folks, the blog about the Shed. It should be noted that my brother spent quite a bit of time putting together plans for this shed for which I am very thankful (and thanks ShaLiece because I think he did most if not all of it at home). I've heard it's nice to have accountants, physicians, dentists and lawyers as siblings, but none of them have given me free stuff like my brother Dilbert, er Bob (but really, thanks a ton Bob). I did raise the roof a bit, but otherwise I followed the plans like a cookbook. With no further ado here are the pics.



Please ignore the rather large pile of tree limbs, roots, and hedge bushes. We're getting rid of it one branch at a time with the weekly trash pick-up.
The post next to the house is where the fence was when we moved in. As you can see we moved the fence out about 12 feet giving us all kinds of new room on the side of the house. That was the project the first weekend of the month.
I know you were all wondering when I would put in a good rear shot so here you go. Melissa wasn't too keen on having the kids up on the roof with me, but this is quality family time here. Kris was enjoying himself on the ground the whole time we were up there.The shed may never be this organized again so I decided it would be beneficial to document this moment. Most people have built in shelves, but I was so indecisived as to where to put them I decided to just go with the shelves we already had. This way I can change it around when I think of a better way to do things.
With the leftover wood I decided to build the kids a playhouse. It's not as true and square as the shed, but the kids like it. Melissa put in the window including the crossbars and wouldn't you know it that is the kids favorite part. This started out as a family project, but as soon as the floor was built it became dad's project with the kids trying not to get hit with the hammer as they danced on their new floor.We're hoping to put a freestanding deck where the playhouse now sits (certainly not this year), so I may enlist my younger stronger brother to help me move the house across the yard when he comes to visit next month.Having spent every free minute the past month on this project I am certain of two things: 1; I enjoy working outdoors with power tools, and 2; I am not cut out for construction because the days where I did spend all day working on the shed were brutal. It's a good thing I have this doctor thing to fall back on.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm completely resentful about the comment about siblings who never help you. If you weren't married to an accountant, I'd lend you what expertise I have every year. Ask Mark.

And what about those voice lessons?

Hmmmmm?

Seriously though, the shed looks awesome!

Doug said...

I've got no problem helping you move the little house across the yard next month. Thank you for the complement!

Jake said...

I had forgotten about you. If you stay long enough to see Mark then you guys can move it together and I can supervise.

becca said...

This turned out awesome!! I found your blog! too funny!

Amber Lee said...

You're right, Jake....I was definitely waiting for the rear shot. :-P j/k