Sunday, August 10, 2008

Synchronized Diving, are you kidding me?

I would like to begin this entry with a list of new events I think they should add to future Olympics. First of all I think we should have synchronized 3 point shooting, you get extra points if you get the ball to bounce twice on the rim in the same location before going in, though a miss is an automatic tenth deduction. We should have synchronized sand volleyball spiking with teams of 4 where the bump, set, spike are in synch between the two pairs. Let us not stop there we can go to synchronized curling in the winter Olympics. When baseball comes back we can have a synchronized homerun derby. You might guess that I am currently watching synchronized diving. This is very near the top of my dumbest sports ever. Let me first say that I am in no way saying that synchronized diving is easy, rather it is just stupid. First of all it is a judged competition which already eliminates it from my list of real sports. The dives aren’t nearly as impressive as those done in the normal diving competition (speaking of which why don’t they have a skydiving competition, that would be cool), but since they are synchronized they suddenly warp into something that the world needs to see. I think the synchronized diving teams should get fools gold medals.

We have enjoyed watching the Olympics. Melissa continues to be frustrated with me for spoiling her swimming trials by announcing the results as she is watching the events. In my defense I didn’t want her to be disappointed when she saw Michael Phelps only qualify 4th in the 200 Free. Speaking of Michael Phelps has there ever been a more enjoyable Olympic athlete to watch? The guy is the whole package. He’s the best swimmer ever, he’s a pretty good interview and he’s taking part in a study where he gets his blood tested for more substances than any athlete in history. Track has lost it’s luster because there’s a steroid shroud over the stadium thicker than that seen in the MLB, but Phelps is distancing himself from that before the accusations even start. I hope he gets his 8 gold medals and I hope he sets 8 world records in the process.

I’m looking for a partner for the synchronized watermelon seed spitting competition in the 2016 Olympics if any of you are interested.

No comments: