With all this talk about Michael Phelps being the greatest athlete ever I feel a need to firmly establish my post as a fence sitter. While 8 gold medals in one olympics is more than any other olympian it can't really be compared to many other olympians. There is no sport other than swimming where it is even possible to win 8 golds. That said the way Phelps dominates his events is absolutely amazing. The only thing stressful about his individual events so far as been waiting for the start of the race because once the competitors leave the blocks it's over. The way he won the 200 free reminded me of the original dream team where the competition is so far behind it's laughable.
Is Phelps the greatest athlete ever? I can't answer that question, but he definately deserves to be grouped with the Jordans, Tigers, Gretskys, Ruths, Owens's and Marinos of the world.
2 comments:
Best athlete I ever saw was Bo Jackson, hands down. The guy was awesome. Too bad he injured himself.
I love how you stuck in "Marinos." And you thought nobody would notice.
--Grant
Post a Comment