Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Where have all the good movies gone?

I'm curious to know if anybody else feels that there has been a dearth of good movies in the past 4 or 5 years. It seems to me that with a few exceptions there have been no intelligent movies made. The last movie I saw that provoked a thought was the first Bourne movie. Anymore we are stuck with action flics filled with car chases down narrow European roads, fist fights lasting longer than all 17 Rocky movies, and gunfights that make me look like a marksman.

Sequels used to be exciting. "Empire Strikes Back" was a downer for a lot of people, but at least it was surprising and left you anxiously awaiting the final film in the trilogy (which turned out to be awesome by the way). If you think sequels today even remotely resemble those of my youth consider the Mission Impossible franchise: The first movie was great and because of all the money it made they decided it would be a good idea to have Scientology boy peel a mask off of his face 63 times over the next two movies, and I do believe that in the end it was his civilian girlfriend who actually shot straight. When Spiderman's arch enemy tries to kill him, then gets a concussion and loses his memory, then remembers and tries to kill him again, then has a change of heart and comes to his rescue only to die for his friend all in the same film you've gone too far (I would say sorry to any of you who may not have seen this movie and I spoiled the ending, but I think you lucky few should actually be saying sorry to me for having watched it). National Treasure 2 was so pathetically similar to the first one that I'm not even sure they made a second movie.

Comedies aren't even funny anymore. When did comedy become synonymous with dirty? Nowadays a comedy is above par if I laugh once during the entire film. "Joe vs the Volcano" used to be the stand alone worst movie on my list of bad movies. I'm not sure it cracks the top 10 anymore.

Has the film making industry changed this much in the past few years or have I? Will I ever enjoy movies as much as I did in the 80s and 90s? Maybe I'm just watching too many movies nowadays, one free movie a week (2 in May) from insideredbox.com might be contributing to that.

At least the cartoons are still good. I could watch Shrek (1, 2, or 3), "Incredibles", or "Cars" any day. It's an added bonus that the kids like them too (how's that for a silver lining?).

3 comments:

Ryan Esplin said...

Two movies that I thought were pretty good: "Next" and "DeJa Vu". I guess I liked them because I liked the main actors: Nicholas Cage and Denzel Washington, respectively.

As for kids movies, I liked "Horton hears a Who". Steve Carroll and Jim Carey did a good job.

I was a bit disappointed by "I am Legend". I like Will Smith but the movie was boring and the ending was bad.

Speaking of Will Smith, I really liked "Hitch". The sidekick in the movie was hillarious.

Jake said...

I agree that "Hitch" was good, but as far as "Next" and "Deja Vu" go I can't agree there. I thought they were both extremely flawed (Melissa really liked "Next"). I just don't like time travel movies. In my opinion only Doc Brown understands the space-time continuum.

I agree with you on "I am Legend". I thought the story was good, but it just didn't make for much of a movie.

Heather said...

We just watched "I am Legend" this past weekend, and although it was jumpy, I was pretty disappointed with the movie. I felt like it was a good concept for a movie, but it was done very well. As for kids movies, if you haven't seen them yet, I recommend "Meet the Robinsons" and "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Imporium". Our whole family enjoyed both. (And, this is my first visit to your blog, and I must say I pretty impressed. Happy Spring Corry's!)