Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gratitude

My mission president passed away this past week and I miss him dearly.  I haven't seen him, or his wife and family, since they finished their mission 14 years ago.  They came up from Brazil for a mission reunion last spring and I longed to be there but the end of residency did not allow that to happen.  Marcos Prieto, along with my Father and brothers, is a man of profound influence in my life.  Much of what I am and hope to be I learned from this man and I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing.  I have wet my pillow not a few times over the past week praying for his wife and children and I am secure in the knowledge that the Lord will bless them for his service.

In this state I have been able to think of some of the many blessings in my life.

I am grateful that cancer didn't take my dad.  I wasn't here when he was diagnosed nor did I see him during his year of chemo, but I am reminded of the miracle that is his remission every day I see his former patients who never forget to ask how my dad is doing.  I love telling people that he is 3 years free of cancer, and I love living 2 doors from my parents.  I have taken my parents for granted my whole life and thanks to modern medicine I look forward to continuing to do that for quite a few years to come.

I am grateful that after a decade and a half of living away from Cedar I am back and living in the same town as my brother.  I go running with my brother three mornings a week and though it is still difficult to pull myself out of bed on those mornings, I cherish that time.  I enjoy the exercise and the company.

I'm grateful for a job that keeps me from being worried about the upcoming presidential election.  Frustrated, yes, but not worried.  I once arrogantly thought that I wouldn't have too many trials concerning personal finances because I understand them and I do a pretty good job at saving.  The likelihood of having to worry about finances is not very high for us and I'm not so dumb as to not be able to recognize the blessing in that.

I'm grateful for a mother who is the greatest grandmother in the world.  Jessi absolutely adores my mom.  When grandma was gone last week for a convention Jessi was a shell of herself each day as she had to do her reading at home with mom or dad.  Every day she asked when grandma was coming back.  Once again I love having my parents 2 doors away, because, heaven knows, we all need help raising kids and I think I may be on the lower portion of that bell curve.

I'm grateful for Kentucky, Washington, and Indiana and how they have shaped my thoughts.  I have met wonderful people who do not believe as I do and yet are great contributors to society.  The "yet" in that past sentence makes me sound as though only those who believe as I do can truly be good people and I have to admit that growing up I may have felt that way a time or two, but I was very very wrong and I'm glad to have been wrong.

I'm grateful for Melissa for every reason imaginable.  I'm sad that she was never able to meet President Prieto, but I know he would thank her for continuing what he and the other great influences in my life have done with me.

I am grateful for my time on my mission when I was able to work so closely with a chosen servant of the Lord.  I am grateful for the knowledge that I will see him again and be able to feel his warm embrace.

2 comments:

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I loved this. Thanks.

Juliana said...

And I am grateful for extended family who inspire me! Loved your post.