Dear Family and Friends,
I am happy to be writing another Christmas letter. Many of you may remember (not so happily) from last year that the tone of the Christmas letter tends to be set by the outcome of a certain football game, and though it’s been over 2 months I still have a little celebration each morning at 6 minutes to 11.
Of course the biggest news of the year is that we added another member to the family. She’s wonderful and perfect and sometimes I just like to stare at her and think about all the good times we’re going to have together. That’s right folks I bought a truck in July (that last part about staring at the truck really is true, Melissa says I’m pathetic, and she’s probably right).
It really has been a wonderful year and we have been very blessed with the addition of Jocelyn Melissa Corry to our family. She was born September 22, and has been a joy in our lives (more of a joy for Melissa than myself as I tend to like children much more than babies, but I am warming up to her). Both mom and baby are very healthy.
We moved home to Cedar City in July and have loved every minute of being home. I finished residency in South Bend , IN at the end of June and we said goodbye to a number of great friends and made our way across the country for what we consider to be our last cross-country move. I’ve been approached numerous times in the past 5 months and asked if it was all worth it now that we’re home. My response each time (as corny as it sounds) has been: The experience itself has always been worth it the job and being back home are just icing on the cake.
Melissa continues to stay busy with our 5 children at home. Four of the kids have school at some time of the week, but not all together so she spends a fair amount of time running from place to place. She continues to design, sew, quilt, write tutorials and then blog about it all. We now live two doors from my mother (which I love) and I have found that the trips to the fabric store are a little more expensive than they were in South Bend , but when you move to a larger sewing room you have to fill up that space with something. I’m not complaining, I had to fill and empty carport a few months ago. With all that keeps her so busy, Melissa did find time to participate in a Triathlon with my brother and me last Saturday. She swam while I biked and Robert ran. It was a lot of fun and something I hope to do again.
Spencer, 8, was baptized in January and has amazed his parents with his understanding of that ordinance. He is currently in 3rd grade at South Elementary. He enjoys his class and is being taught by a woman who taught one of the two kindergarten classes when I attended kindergarten there. He also got glasses a month ago and has been commenting quite a bit about how much he has missed seeing in the past. He was very surprised to see the Bishops eyes in church his first Sunday with his glasses. Spencer also went on his first deer hunt this year and enjoyed it immensely. He wasn’t there when I got my deer (it happened later on in the hunt while he was in school), but is still excited to have the antlers go up on his wall (mom’s not too enamored with that, but she’s not ready to let me build a cabin and it’s not safe to drive around with a rack of antlers in my truck).
Jessica, 6, is in first grade at South Elementary and loves it. She reads with her grandmother every day after school. It’s interesting because she reads for 20 minutes each day but often times we don’t see her until dinner time which is well over an hour after she gets home from school. She is happy to have her own bedroom downstairs with an attached bathroom and walk-in closet. I’m a little worried about a 6 year-old being that excited about those things, but whatcha gonna do?
Kristian, 4, (probably 5 by the time you get this letter, unless you read it on the blog) goes to preschool 4 days a week at a school that is located in what was part of the playground when I was a student at South Elementary. He’s in class with his cousin and they have really warmed up to each other after what was a little bit of a rocky start. Kristian is our little athlete as his favorite pastime is wrestling, wrestling and wrestling. When his uncle Mark came down to visit he had a wrestling camp with the kids. The other 3 tired quickly, but Kristian was still ready to “belly down” after 30 minutes of drills.
Kamryn, 2, continues to grow into her personality. We haven’t figured her out quite yet as she gets into more trouble than the first 3 kids combined ever did. I can’t remember the last time her feet were free of marker. She is enamored with her new baby sister and often becomes sad when Josie cries for more than 30 seconds. She attends a preschool 1 day a week to help with her speech as she tests at the level of a 4 year old for understanding, but at the age of a 1 year old for her speech. I’m not entirely sure how they measure that stuff, but I believe it as Kami always seems to know the perfect time to flash a smile or give a kiss or hug to get out of trouble.
Jocelyn, 0, is a baby and I don’t particularly enjoy babies so I have nothing to say here. Okay that’s probably not nice. We were very worried about Josie because she failed her first 2 hearing screens and when she went in for the definitive test the machine broke, but she didn’t seem to respond to anything before the machine broke. A lot of prayers were said and tears were shed. Two weeks ago she had another test and while she does have some decreased hearing she can, in fact, hear. She has a repeat test in a couple of months, and we are much less afraid about it. It’s a new experience for us to be happy when our baby wakes up crying because her siblings are screaming in the hall, but the two times it has happened have been very joyful moments for us.
We wish you all the best this holiday season. It has been a wonderful year for our family and we have certainly felt the hand of the Savior in our lives.
Love,
Jacob, Melissa,
Spencer (Spence) , Jessica (Jessi), Kristian (Nader), Kamryn (Kami, Bubbles), and Jocelyn (Josie)
In case your were wondering we have not lost any from the ranks of the Ute faithful this year, but Nader is still holding strong to his Irish.

1 comment:
very nice.
Post a Comment