*This list has gotten kind of sappy so feel free to skim or ignore.
As I near the end of my first year of residency I've decided to make a list of some of the things I have learned:
1. At any time during or after a 24 hour shift I can fall asleep in any position within 10 minutes.
2. "Weekends off" is a phrase I look forward too immensely.
3. A lot of fun can be crammed into 4 days during any given call month.
4. Sleeping in is a priveledge not to be taken for granted (many of these lessons apply to those with infants as well especially this one).
5. Stress if best handled if shared with others.
6. Hospitals are a slice of heaven at times.
7. Hospitals are a slice of hell many times.
8. The telephone was the second worst invention of the last 500 years only superseeded by the pager.
9. The value of a competent nurse cannot be overestimated.
10. The frustration caused by an incompetent nurse cannot be overestimated (I'm sure the same can be said of incompetent residents).
11. Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh. I just triaged an OB patient who called an ambulance because she lost her mucous plug in the shower.
12. Sometimes you just have to break down and cry, but only in the protection of your home in the arms of a woman who loves you and would never tell anyone how much of a sissy you are...unless you're a woman then you can cry in the hospital.
13. There are a lot of really good people in the world who need help.
14. There are a few really good people who always seem willing to give that help.
15. My kids don't care how smart I am, or dumb as the case may be.
16. My kids don't care how many hours I worked.
17. My kids don't care how much money I make (at least not yet).
18. My kids want to wrestle, read stories, and play hide and go find dad at all times of the day.
19. Sometimes you have to act like a kid to feel normal again. You can do that by staying up until 3 AM playing games at a friend's house, but only if you're kids allow it and your friends don't kick you out.
20. Lots of people have hard jobs and lots of people have no jobs.
21. A code siren can elicit joy or dread depending on my rotation.
22. Sometimes it feels good to wear a suit.
23. Hospital beds are not comfortable.
24. When the ER doc says they want to admit one of your partner's patients you should always ask the patient who they think their doctor is.
25. Computers are glorious things until they aren't.
26. You can't tell the sex of a baby from a speculum exam (same patient as #11)
27. "Baby daddy" is not a good reflection on our society.
28. Hospitals are not hotels and Ambulances are not taxis.
29. Threatening your doctor is not a good way to get your vicodin.
30. Conjunctivitis is a reason for admission.
31. Conjuctivitis is NOT a good reason for admission.
32. The line between against-medical-advice and with-staff-encouragement is very thin.
33. There are few things in life better than a good donut.
34. Handing off my pager makes me feel like I'm on a Red Bull commercial.
35. 3:30 AM is a bad time to come to the hospital for vaginal itching of 5 days duration.
36. I do not know what crazy people do during daylight hours.
37. Having a hole in your foot is not normal.
38. If the blood in that hole gets replaced by green goo that does not mean it is getting better.
39. Coumadin should not be taken on a prn basis.
40. We should have a name for the 2 AM meal in the English language.
4 comments:
wow. that post was enlightening, gross, confusing, and at times...really weird.
Jacob and Melissa, I blundered onto your blog via a link from another blog. If I remember right, it happened because Tasha Seegmiller gave me her blog address, it had a link to Charlotte's blog and she had a link to yours.
Anyway, I have to "out" myself as a reader if I haven't already (I have absolutely no memory these days). Congrats on the birth of your adorable baby girl, and also, congrats on having one of the most hilarious and awesome blogs around. Good work.
Ally (Braithwaite) Condie
I'm sure that you love your job, except when you hate it, and have not deterred me in the least from getting into the medical feild myself. Although when the time comes I will be looking you up to share your wisdom and advice on becoming a 9 and not a 10!! And I'm glad that there is no time delay for weeping for women...
LOLOLOL I'm totally passing this on to my mom, who's a nurse at a clinic and hospital, who will definitely pass it on to her doctors. Your OB patient stories are AWESOME!
Post a Comment