It is no secret that I was a bit worried about how I would adjust to having 4 children. After Kristian was born the adjustment was very difficult for me. My life seemed to fall apart for two months and I don't remember much of that time. So I was scared because if the transition to 3 was that hard I assumed the transition to 4 would put me in the loony bin.
It has been 6 weeks and I can happily say that ,amazingly enough, 4 has been much easier than 3. I would even go as far as to say that the transition has been rather enjoyable. I actually get a little sad when I look at Kamryn and see how quickly she is growing and changing. (although that doesn't last too long)
I was contemplating this triumph this morning and trying to figure out what I have to contribute this too. I came up with the following :
1 - I have a son that is old enough to not only want to help his baby sister but actually be able to provide help. Spencer is so quick to do mostly anything I ask and has been a huge help to me.
2 - I have a daughter that is in love with her baby sister and some how, has become the master of the binki. Jessi can always get Kami to take her binki even when I can't. I guess I need to study her technique.
3 - I have a toddler that, most of the time, is pretty laid back. Sometimes I think he has barely noticed that a baby has come and stolen much of his attention time.
4 - Although at times it has been hard to have Jacob on call it also has the nice benefit when looked at in the right light. The nights that he is on call I don't have to worry about waking him and could feed her in bed in the middle of the night. Also, the day after he is on call he gets home much earlier and has time to spend with all of us, giving me a break, and also gives me nap time to run to the store. Heaven!!
5 - I have a beautiful infant who is a pretty good little girl. She has her issues with gas and constipation just like all the rest but she also has followed suit with the rest and started to sleep through the night at 6 weeks and takes a binki rather well. Unlike the others, she hates showers but loves tummy time. What an opposite for me. She has also started to smile and coo and that can melt away any amount of stress.
6 - I think that I grew a lot after that hard transition. I seem to be able to let go of my crazy OCD impulses much easier and am able to go with the flow when necessary. Crying also doesn't grade my nerves as much as it used to. I think I can honestly say I am learning and progressing when it comes to being the mom of an infant.
So I guess my conclusion is that I am very grateful to my family for helping me to become a better mommy and showing me that infants are not as scary as they once were and that I am growing and adapting. I love you all!!
P.S. I also should say thank you to all of my friends that supported me and brought meals and such. I was going to put you in the number list but it was an opportunity to list about each of my family members and my OCD would not allow me to mix in others. I know, I'm a little crazy.
2 comments:
Way to go Melissa!
I'm jealous--Heather didn't sleep through the night until Christmas Eve-about 14 weeks.
I on the other hand think this is much worse than 3 ever was. The crying bothers me more than I can remember (or at least as much) and I haven't minded being on OB for many of the same reasons Melissa stated.
I've also been enabled by Melissa as I think I have done less feeding and diaper changing with Kamryn than any of the other three kids (if this trend continues I may not even have to touch the next one until he/she is 9 months).
Post a Comment