Monday, April 21, 2008

Having a Melissa Moment

So today I was delivering invitations for a party that I am hosting on Saturday. I had to go up the canyon to deliver one. I finally found the place (it is up by Milts and off the road a bit) and was must say I was rather proud of myself that I found it only after having driven by it once. So I get up to the door and find that the intended recipient isn't at home. Oh well, I left it at the door and started back to the car.

Before 3 steps I notice my pockets don't feel like my keys are in them. So I frantically start patting my pockets and realize my before hypothesis was now a conclusion. So I am at the car now and see my keys sitting on the seat. Cursing the fact that I grew up in West Valley City and always lock my doors I hope against hope and grab the door handle. No such luck. (I didn't think there was much but I sure was hoping.) So I walked around the car and checked every door. For I second I thought about throwing a rock through the window but then came to the conclusion that although that might solve my current problem it would probably make a much greater problem when I get home.

Suddenly I remembered that I have a cell phone in my pocket. I was elated. I whipped it out and dialed Jacob and then came the biggest disappointment of all. It wouldn't dial. Unfortunately, when one is up the Canyon, one does not have cell phone coverage. So after fighting back a fit of hysteria I decided to start hiking it down the canyon holding my cell high above my head hoping that I would get coverage before I got back to Cedar. (About 4 miles) So I walked for about 15-20 minutes down the canyon. I must say I held it together alright for about the first 5 minutes. The next few I had a few tears roll down my cheeks. By the time I got a window of reception (about 20 feet, Thank Heaven) I was crying pretty freely.

So once Jacob calmed me down enough to be able to understand where I was and that I was stranded he came to my rescue. Funny to note, that while I was trying to get reception no one stopped. Once I got reception and Jacob started on his way 2 people stopped to see if I needed a lift. Oh well, I am just grateful for that 20 foot range of reception and that Jacob was not well today and home to rescue me.

So that is my Moment for the day. It still hasn't gotten to the point where I can laugh at it yet but I am hoping over the next few days I will get there.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I didn't know things like that happened to you! You're so level headed! You're so on top of things!

I'm glad to have proof that you're human after all.

:-)