Monday, March 1, 2010

The greatest month of the year

When I was growing up February was probably my favorite month.  February always rivaled January for the most snow back home and I built a lot of snowmen and snow forts.  When I got to old for that stuff I would play snow football with my (now bigger) younger brothers.  Snow football for Corrys consisted of me kicking or throwing the football straight to my younger brother then pummeling him into the snow.  This was always best played when the snow was at least a foot deep so as to lessen the blows.  Another time I'll write about how I taught my brother to take a charge in basketball.  To his credit he won most of those games on free throws.   In my own mind I take a sliver of credit for Mark being an allstate wrestler and football player.  I had nothing to do with the javelin.

February is also the month of my birthday.  Nothing beats a birthday when you're a kid.  Everything is about you.  Sure I had to share the week with my younger brother (his birthday is a mere 4 days before mine), but celebrating with a bunch of dead presidents was always pretty cool.

Nowadays February is not so cool.  I miss the sun, I miss the warmth and birthdays are just a reminder that I'm 30 something and longing for the future.  (Alright it's not that bad, but I need to create some dramatic effect here)

With that in mind I have a plan to get over the midwinter doldrums.  This is a long term plan so it probably won't take effect for a few years, but when it does it's gonna be nice.  First off I'm going to move away from the land of clouds.  I've written before about my love of Cedar City so I won't belabor that now.

Second I am going to take up snowboarding.  February of 2011 is going to forever be known as Jake's Snowboarding month.  Sure, I could go snowboarding here, but that's kind of like Manti* pulling out his surfboard to hit the waves at Benton Harbor.  Plus it's expensive and I'm a tightwad.

When I get too old to snowboard I'm going to buy a bunch of snowmobiles and put tracks on my side-by-side. We'll be spend much of February at the cabin (not built yet) building fires, making snow caves and maybe playing a little snow football.  This step of the plan is obviously a few years off yet.

When the kids are all grown up and moved away and it's just Melissa and myself at home we will enter the last stage of the plan.  This stage is referred to as South America February.  I'm not sure how we're going to do it, but I think you get the picture.

So there you have it, my infallible plan to turn February back into the best month of the year.  Melissa will be learning about this plan for the first time with the rest of you readers out there.

I welcome any of your suggestions on how to improve on my plan.





*For you non South Benders, Manti Teo is a Notre Dame football player from Hawaii, and Benton Harbor is a beach town on Lake Michigan.

1 comment:

Allyson Condie said...

I love this. February is a long month in Utah and it was a REALLY long month when we lived in upstate NY. I think another way to take back February might be to demand that they have the Olympics ever single year. That really helped me get through this time.