How's that for a title to let you know who's writing this post?
I've been doing a lot of thinking about regret lately. Residency has been somewhat difficult for me since we got back into town and I can't really put my finger on why that is. I have my theories, of course, but they are just that, theories, nothing that rings true. Back to the topic of regret I've been thinking about some of the big decisions of my life. Some of those decisions have resulted in my mission, my spouse, my 4 children, my education, my career, my life. During the two years while I was on my mission I had some down times, but I never questioned if I would do it again if given the choice. Never once have I thought I would make any changes to my choice of wife and when to have children (its a good thing to because Melissa would have my head if I said otherwise).
In the course of the past year I have asked myself many times if I would go into medicine if I had it all to do over again. In the end medicine will still give me all that I've ever wanted. Melissa is free to stay home with the kids now and in the future. I can work a schedule that allows me to be present for my children's lives. I get to move home in less than two years and spend the rest of my days living in Cedar City (that's like a death sentence to some, but I'm pretty sure they just haven't seen the light). So would I do it again if given the chance? You bet I would, in a heartbeat. There was also a time not so long ago that I enjoyed medicine for all it's glory. Being an intern wore me down, as I think it does for many others. Treating my patient panel wears me down, and will continue to do so. Feeling inadequate is excruciating for me, but when I'm honest with myself I believe things will get better. There will come a day when I enjoy going to work and maybe I'll feel like I'm making a difference. Just don't ask me if I think Spencer should be a doctor...not yet anyway.
Now for the important stuff. A couple of days ago Lou Holtz predicted that Notre Dame would play Florida in the BCS championship game this year. Granted Lou Holtz is an idiot, but that really steams me. Lou admits that he doesn't believe that Notre Dame will be the second best team in the nation, but he believes the Irish will be the best team on the field each Saturday with the possible exception of the USC game and an undefeated or one-loss Irish team will certainly be slotted to play for the BCS championship. You've got to be kidding me! There was this one team last year that was the best team each week. That team played a much harder schedule than the one facing the Irish this year. That team didn't get a shot at the BCS championship. That team is still the only undefeated team from the 2008 college football season. I would love it if ND goes to a BCS bowl this year, because that other team comes to South Bend November 13, 2010 and I'm going to be sporting all my red in the visitors section.
Last of all I've seen another blog tag that I have to take part in.
I am:
Animated
Brother
Cousin
Dumb
Energetic
Father
Generous
Humorous
Idiotic
Jake
Kid
LDS
Man
Nice
Ostentatious
Paranoid
Quizzical
Rude
Satirical
Thrilling
Unorthodox
Vibrant
Witty
Xenophilic
Youngish
Zealous
2 comments:
What does Xenophilic mean?
Attracted to foreign things
Post a Comment