Friday, March 7, 2008

Too old?

I went out to Three Peaks for a mountain bike ride this afternoon. At about the midpoint of my ride I happened to tap my front brake while riding down some relatively steep slick rock. This is a rookie mistake that I never would have made 7 years ago. I flipped over my handlebars and gave myself a bit of road rash. Unfortunately I had to finish the last 3 1/2 miles of the loop to get back to the car. The trip back required a large amount of climbing so I had ample time to lament getting older. Then just as I was almost back to the car I passed some other mountain bikers and I remembered the feeling of showing off battle wounds (if you've ever been on a mountainbike you know of the battle between rider and terrain). I don't think they were very impressed, but I felt so cool I almost forgot about the stinging wind against my left arm.


The fact that I'm actually excited to have people ask me what happened makes me feel like a teenager and if you're only as old as you feel this is a good sign.
There were also some wounds on the chin and knee, but the pictures didn't turn out too good.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

And here dad was thinking that marriage and fatherhood had cured you of your thrill-seeking recklessness.