Lousy Chargers! Apparently they can take advantage when the Colts play a bad game, but when Tom Brady decides to have his worst game in recent memory the bolts develop an allergy to the end zone. Have I mentioned my hatred for the Patriots and Bill Bellicheat? The only solace I have is that the Patriots have been watching illegal film of every team for years so it’s only expected that the cheating should pay off sometime.
As I sit watching the halftime of the Packers-Giants game I can’t imagine another game in my life where I have been so excited to see the announcers because they all look so funny in the cold. Terry Bradshaw looks like he aged 30 year over night.
We’ve had a good week in South Bend. I worked the 7-3 shift this week so I was able to spend a lot of time with Melissa and the kids. This month has certainly confirmed my decision to pursue a career in Family Practice instead of Emergency Medicine. I still understand the draw of the emergency department, but it just isn’t my cup of tea. The thing about the ER is that it’s 98% monotonous and 2% sheer adrenaline, and the adrenaline tends to give me more anxiety than your average emergency medicine physician. The sheer number of Medicaid patients that come to the emergency department for hangnails has really started to bother me this month. I’m so glad that in the future Hillary will make it possible for more of the nation to be able to use the ambulance as their personal taxi. I may be a bit jaded, but I actually met a woman who missed every one of her prenatal appointments because she didn’t want to pay for the bus fare, but she brought her 5 year old daughter to the emergency department with an earache because the ambulance ride is free.
Cleveland has now been added to the list of places where the weekly email has been written. We made the 4 hour drive to Cleveland on Friday to come visit Doug and Maegan. They welcomed us with a bit of snow and some of the bitterest cold I can remember. We went out to visit the church history site in Kirtland yesterday. It was really cool. The kids got really cold when we would leave one building for another (I was somewhat cold as well), but they did very well with the 2 hour tour. It was a wonderful experience to feel the spirit in some of the rooms where so many revelations were received. During the video portion of the tour Spencer got very disturbed when they portrayed the story about Joseph Smith being tarred and feathered outside of his home. After regaining some composure Spencer told us that those bad men must be Lamanites (for those of you not well versed in LDS scripture Lamanites are a people in The Book of Mormon who are known through much of the book for their sinful ways). It’s going to make for an interesting discussion when our family scripture study gets to the part where the Lamanites are converted and become a righteous people.
In other scripture news we have been spending more time teaching Spencer the stories in the scriptures (rather than just reading a chapter while the kids play with their toys). He seems to enjoy it quite a bit and actually picks up a bit from time to time. The other day when Jessi threw a toy Spencer told her that she was going to be cut in half if she kept throwing toys. It took some time, but we finally deciphered his meaning when we were reading a verse that said that those who are unrighteous will be cut off from the presence of the Lord. We calmly explained to Spencer that Heavenly Father does not, in fact, have a giant sword that he uses to cut us in half when we aren’t good.
I think that’s good for this week and I need to get back to watching Brett (we’re all pretty tight here in the Midwest) and Peyton’s little brother duke it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment