The roller coaster of emotions certainly hasn't slowed down. I can't remember being this confused about my feelings. Melissa and I talk about it and we both would love to talk to others about it because it helps so much, but it is so hard to do so because then the tears flow. So what do I do instead? I write.
I never thought I was one of those guys who thought miscarriage was just something that happens, but I was. It's rare that I see a pregnant woman who hasn't lost a baby some way or another. The G3P3 as it were, just doesn't walk through the doors of my clinic very often so I've become accustomed to miscarriages. I've been on the other side. I've been the one to break the news to a soon-to-be mother that she is no longer so soon to be. I've done a good job with it as far as I can tell but in my mind I think I've thought, it's okay, you can have other kids or this happened so early in your pregnancy that it's really not that big of a deal.
Then I had someone close to me go through an early miscarriage and I learned that it is pretty hard, but still I thought in my mind; I'm sure this is hard, but it happens all the time so you should be able to get through this pretty easily. What an ignorant fool I was.
I made it through yesterday and most of today because I had to. I had to be the one to tell Melissa that she didn't want to pass this at home. I knew that the best choice for us knowing her and knowing myself was to get this procedure done as soon as possible. I knew the surgeon and had complete faith in his abilities and I did my part to convey that to Melissa. Now we are through that part and I don't know anymore. What happens now? I don't have any prior knowledge to hang on to. I don't have any next steps to keep me firm.
I feel selfish because I already have 4 healthy and happy kids and I was worried about being disappointed if we didn't have twins. I feel selfish because this baby wasn't a firm part of my family yet, but the loss affects my future. It affects my plans. It affects the ages of my children should we decide to have more.
I feel sad because we have lost something. I'm confused because I can't identify that loss clearly. I feel ashamed for not understanding.
Some years ago when I was going through a particularly bad spell of anxiety and depression I called my sister who talked me through some things and comforted me in ways I didn't think possible at the time. She told me that there would come a time when I would do the same for someone else because I understood how it felt. I have done that numerous times since that day, in both professional and private settings.
I feel this is very similar to that situation for as I ponder what has happened and read and hear the words of you who have experienced this I see that you understand. Because this is something that does happen so often, there are so many people who understand, and your words are special. It is through your words as well as the words of those who love us and have not experienced this that I see Christ. I see the man of Galilee who paid for our sins and takes our burdens upon him. I see the man who understands my trials because he suffered all. I see his hand in his servants as they put aside their own needs to care for someone else who is hurting. Those who comfort those who stand in need of comfort exemplify Christ, and bring me closer to him. And I know that it is only though him that my pain can be soothed and my suffering can be eased because he already paid for this heartache, all I have to do is let him.
I'm a better father, husband, and physician today that I was two days ago. I have a closer relationship with my family, friends and most of all my Savior, but it may take some time before I stop wishing I could have just learned this lesson from the scriptures.
7 comments:
We were so saddened to hear of your loss. Our hearts and prayers are with you all. You guys are amazing and it is inspiring to hear about your faith in Christ during this time. I hope that you will continue to feel comforted. Please give Melissa our love.
Jacob, I really appreciate your thoughts on this issue. It's definitely an unusual/confusing sort of loss. We went through a similar situation before we got pregnant with Ella. I found peace through a Priesthood blessing that gave me insights that I believe were specific to our situation and so I came away from that with some personal revelation and peace. Hopefully you guys can find the solace and answers specific to your situation and desires from Heavenly Father as well. I also found it comforting to know that there are/were others who had gone through similar situations.
I know Heavenly Father knows you and Melissa and desires for you to have all that you wish to have. Sometimes the trial is simply for growth and accepting His timeframe instead of our own. ;) In the meantime, you have lots of friends and family praying for you guys. You are a wonderful family and I know blessings will continue to come to your family.
Oh Jacob, I am so so sorry. I hope it is okay that I post here on your blog. I have been a reader for sometime now, because I enjoy your writing so much. But I can't help but want to comment on this particular post. My heart goes out to you and Melissa! I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be. You both will be in my prayers!
I think you have a unique situation as you have 4 different perspectives to come at this:
1) a Husband whos Wife is going through something very difficult and emotional
2) a Father grieving the loss of one child and the pain and confusion it may cause the others
3) A Doctor struggling to find a scientific reason for what happened
4) a Priesthood holder knowing there is a plan and a reason for everything
I cant imagine the range of thoughts and emotions going through your head and heart right now. Im so sorry for your loss.
It is a rare man who can express his feeling so well. Hugs to the two of you at this difficult time. All you have to do is this minute now. The rest will come. Grief has no timeline.
Hey Jake,
Adam and I just wanted to let you guys know of our love and support for both you and Melissa. Your entry really brings back a lot of memories for me, I was crying just reading it :) I know everything will work out for the best, we love ya, and if you either of you ever need to talk feel free to give us a call.
Jacob and Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this.
We have not experienced miscarriage, but struggles with infertility and medical issues have definitely brought us to our knees. I wish I could say that we have handled everything with as much humility and spirituality as I see in this post. Thank you for sharing this beautiful and real post on your blog.
Post a Comment