Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Some Bad News

Melissa is having a D/C tomorrow.  She had an ultrasound at her OB visit this morning and the baby had no heartbeat.  It measured 8.5 weeks which means it stopped growing about 2 weeks ago.

On the one hand this sucks.  On the other hand this really sucks.

As you can imagine it has been a hard day but we have seen the Lord's hand in our lives today.  Melissa's appointment was this morning and my phone rang just as I was heading back to the doctor's lounge between surgery cases.  I was alone in the lounge so I didn't even have to leave to cry a bit.  Her physician gave her a long hug which was very comforting then gave her some information to make a decision as to whether or not to proceed with a D/C.  We didn't deliberate long and I had her call back as soon as she got home to see how soon she could have the procedure done and they were able to fit her in tomorrow.  So we'll be heading to the hospital early tomorrow morning.

We've gone through a range of emotions today, Melissa more so than I.  We are doing well, but a little scared about what is to come in the next week, again Melissa more so than I.

Our outlook for the next year has certainly changed.  We don't know if or when we will have any more children and we don't plan to know for at least a few months.

We appreciate the love and prayers of family and friends as so many of you have expressed understanding of what we are now feeling.




I guess we jumped the gun a bit with the Yukon, but Melissa tells me she won't make me take it back, though in her current state I could probably get anything out of her.

6 comments:

M said...

Im so sorry guys. The Canadians are praying for you.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I'm so very sorry. I've been through this - twice. Please tell Melissa to not feel like she has to get over it fast, that being a mess is okay for quite some time and there is no such thing as crying for no reason for several months. You are in my prayers.

Charlotte said...

Isn't it a blessing when, in the midst of crushing disappointment and sadness, the Lord's Hand is there? And what a blessing that you are both able to recognize it.

It doesn't make it go away, but I personally think it makes the experience at least a little less painful.

Love you.

becca said...

so sorry to hear your news guys. It's not an easy journey but you have lots of people praying for you and helping! We are here if you need us. ;)

Angeleah said...

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what that feels like and what you must be going through. Trials stink!! If you need to talk give me a call! We love you guys!
Angeleah

Erica said...

My heart aches for you and I will be praying for your family.