Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Christmas in May

Sometimes it is difficult for me to empathize with others in their work struggles.  The pressures of a job or career seem to be as different as the careers themselves.  I don't know what it is like to have to worry about my job security or where my next paycheck is coming from.  There have been times when I worried if I was going to be able to make it as a physician, but now that I have a license and I'm on the downhill side of residency looking forward to a relatively lucrative career I don't worry about getting a job and supporting my family.  I honestly can't imagine how difficult those worries would be and sometimes when I get overworked about how hard my life is and how hard it is to be a resident caring for people who don't want to care for themselves and feeling inadequate when things don't go as planned I look at my wife and kids and see how good I've got it.

Residency is hard, there is no doubt about it.  These last two years have been the most difficult of my life, though this last year was better than my first.  I dread the hospital and the resposibility that comes with being on call in-house.  This coming Sunday is my last in-house call and it kind of feels like Christmas.  Well not exactly like Christmas because I generally enjoy the days leading up to Christmas, whereas, I am dreading the rest of today and Sunday, but come Monday morning at 6:00 when I am no longer on call I will be celebrating.

I'll probably finish up my work sometime around noon on Monday and then drive home to a lonely house so I can take an afternoon nap in complete silence, but it may very well be the best Memorial Day ever. 

No comments: