Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Etsy Shop Revisited

So I have made 3 sales now on Etsy and I have to say it is quite fun to get that little email that says you made a sale. I get so excited I haven't even minded having to take the packages to the post office.

When I first opened my shop a lady sent me an email saying she was interested in starting to quilt but had no idea where to even begin. We emailed back and forth for a while and I think I gave her some helpful advice and some ideas of possible quilts to start on. She thanked me and that was that. It got me thinking though, about how many people out there might want to give quilting a try but don't want to invest all the start up costs of a new hobby. With that I started throwing around the idea of making a kit of one of the quilts I have already made. It would have all the material already cut out, the binding made, and the instructions of how to put it together. I have been throwing this idea around for about a month now.

Well yesterday was my third sale. Fueled by that excitement, I decided to put my thoughts into action and made a quilt kit for my Crazy Coloring Kids Quilt. It was a bit of a challenge at first trying to type up all the instructions but in the end I have to say I am quite proud of the completed project. I made sure to add 4 pages of general instructions to help those that are first time quilters. We'll see how it goes, if it sales well maybe I will be adding more quilt kits of different patterns :)

Oh, and I added a button and a some thumbnails of what's at my shop just to the side. I think they are pretty cute !!






As the other contributer to this blog I'm not sure how I (Jake) feel about all these etsy buttons off to the side there.  I feel my manly blog slipping away from me.  Apparently we need some more posts about sports on here.  As long as Melissa keeps letting me spend some of her etsy money on ebay I'm going to have to let it slide.  I'd start a new blog, but all my faithful readers would just stay here anyway and I like pretending that you are enamored with my keen wit and that's why you keep coming back.  Live the dream!

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh--I can see it now. You're well on your way to becoming an etsy addict. Congratulations!

Heather said...

Is it pretty easy to get set up on etsy? i've thought about posting some of my jewelry and accessories stuff on there, but wasn't sure how much of a hassle it was.

becca said...

ok Melissa, i would be so excited to get sales too...I am also thinking about putting some cards and digital ish stuff on Etsy. You might be my inspiration. And I LOVE your quilt kit idea. a lot!! Congrats on your sales.

Jacob, I enjoy the manly contributions you bring to your family blog. Although I do get a bit blurry eyed on some of the sports posts...You guys have a nice mix going here. Maybe she will make you a sports are awesome button for the blog too. :)

Jake said...

Heather,

It isn't to difficult. It took me a few hours but mostly because I wanted a cute banner and such.

Jake said...

Cute banners are all the rage. I love it when Melissa posts comments under my profile that are all frilly and such.

Charlotte said...

What? That was Melissa? I thought for sure it was Jake--A/K/A--the pink-shirted wonder.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, any thoughts on a T-shirt quilt? Cuz I wanna make one with all my old t-shirts and don't really know how....
-Becky Bingham

Anonymous said...

Becky,

T-Shirt quilts are easy. Send me an email anytime about size and such and I will help you get started.

Bonnie said...

Jake you are too funny! Best of luck Melissa...you are amazing!