Sunday, September 7, 2008

Confessions of a Dolfan

I am a Dolphins fan. I have been a Dolphins fan for as long as I can remember. I will be a Dolphins fan until I die (or until Utah gets an NFL franchise). I have suffered with the fins through thick and thin (mostly thin). Last season was rock bottom and after accepting how bad the fins were I actually had a pleasant season rooting for them while rooting against the Patriots (both were futile efforts week after week). With a new season came new expectations. The Dolphins aren't going to the playoffs this year, but the experts think they will get 4-6 wins throughout the season.

I wasn't expecting anything miraculous today and the Fins delivered as planned digging a 20-7 hole by the fourth quarter. Then something horrible happened. Pennington started driving the team down the field. He got them all the way down to the 2 yard line before turning the ball over on downs to the Jets dashing my dreams of victory. I had given up on them by this point and was resigned to waiting for next week for the first win.

On the ensuing Jets possession they went 3 and out giving the Fins wonderful field position for another drive only this time they actually went down the field and scored. The Dolphins again held the Jets to 3 downs and a punt then had just over a minute to march down the field. Aside from some poor clock management (a spike or two could given them another 15 seconds at least) Pennington was becoming the quarterback of my dreams (I dream of mediocrity as the Dolphins most recent quarterbacks would be better suited for the AFL than the NFL). With two possible plays left and a win in his grasp Pennington forgot he was a Dolphin and threw the ball to one of his former teammates sealing the win for the Jets.

Here I sit mourning over what could have been. It's gonna be another good year to be a Dolfan.

In other Sports news I believe the Charlie watch has begun. After a lackluster performance against the doormat of the MWC I just don't see the Irish keeping him for a 5th season. I heard a rumor that the ND alumni club of Southern California has $30 million in an account to buy out Weiss if the need should arise. I don't know how true that is, but having lived here in South Bend for 3 months and seeing all the silver spoons I wouldn't be too surprised.

Though I am not nor will ever again be a BYU fan I'm not too upset over the Washington call. I'm looking forward to using that play to discredit a possible BCS birth for the Cougs.

No comments: