Friday, July 11, 2008

Things Are Changing

So I hesitate to post this as I am afraid no one will ever want to come to visit us anymore. My sister, Jennifer, came to visit us this week and we put her to work. I was waiting to start any of the painting until she got here as I have never painted before. (that is the result of living in a lot of rentals) Anyhow, she has, and is very good at it I might add. So with that said, on with the changes.


Jessica's Room


This is the first project we started and I am glad we tackled it first. I had no idea what I was getting into when I decided on this pattern for the room and what a huge process it would be. However, I am thrilled with the results and am very glad we stuck with it. I still need to buy some shelves to go on the walls so she can display her Cinderella collection that her Aunt Corinne gave her, and I also want to paint her bed, art table, and bookshelf white, but that might be a little while. Just a few more things on the project list. Jacob is also going to put crown around the ceiling and a chairrail where the stripes meet the pink. Without further ado, I give you Jessi's Room. . .





Spencer and Kristian's Room



So luckily this room was a little easier than Jessi's. It did include a trip to Wal-Mart at 2:00 am to get some more green paint. Just FYI, if you ever need paint in the middle of the night, you know where you can get it at. We finished it at about 4:00 am. I am very happy as well with this room. I don't know what I am going to put on the walls yet, but we are looking for bunk beds for the boys and I plan to make matching quilts. I just think that will be so cute. We are also going to put crown molding in the boys room as well. So here is Spencer and Kristian's Room . . .




The Arch


So I was not aware that my twin sister is a "Master Mudder" but once I found out about it I took full advantage of it. So first we scraped off Jacob's and my first attempt to putty the arch which had cracked everywhere. Then we began the process of mudding the arch for the second time. Jennifer had a lot of practice mudding when she was in theater in college I find and is very good at texturing, which is awesome since our walls are all textured and Jacob and I were pretty sure we were not going to be able to make it look anything like the rest. So to make a long story short, Jennifer mudded the whole arch, matched the texture perfectly, and it looks totally awesome.



p.s. So how long do you think it will take me to get all of the bedroom and closet doors that are in the back of the picture back up in the kids room?

So now onto a few of the other projects I have had before Jennifer arrived . . .
Old Blue
So anyone that has visited our place has had an experience sitting on our couch "Old Blue". Well I guess I should say slouching and not sitting as it is rather hard to sit on Old Blue as you tend to sink into the middle. Well, it was time for a makeover. First Old Blue got a sitting companion that I found at a garage sale and talked down from $175.oo to $50.00.

Next, Old Blue got a nice piece of 3 inch foam under the cushions to help with the "sinkage" issue. And finally, a new slip cover to match the new couch and hide Old Blue. So now we have "New Brown". I am going to recover the throw pillows once I decide what color to paint the room and that will be the final touches to our new couch.


And last, but certainly not least, THE BOAT

Robert, this is for you. I can't tell you how glad the kids are that the boat ended up in the back of the truck. With a little work from mom, and a lot of jokes from dad, I give you the S.S. Corry.


4 comments:

Bonnie said...

great job painting! I love the way Jessi room turned out! So creative!

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

I love, love, love, love, love, the paint job! WOW. You chose really great colors too. Well worth all the work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you both!! I am really glad that I hadn't painted before and didn't know what I was getting myself into. However, with that said, I would probally do it all over again, with Jen's help of course. So Jen, you got a 3 year break and then a repeat in a room in Utah :)

Amber Lee said...

Go, Jennifer! I'm surprised you were surprised, Melissa, by what she's capable of. Hello, between the 2 of you, I don't think I've ever found anything you can't do, so if you couldn't do it, you had to know she would be able to!
And I love the boys' room!