Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Indepedence Day

This morning the kids and I celebrated the 4th by participating in a bike parade. I had no idea what to expect but geared myself for whatever was to come. We met a lot of the other residents over at the Galbraiths (Resident's at Memorial) and decorated the bikes and strollers. Upon all the other kids arriving I made the observation that Spencer's little bike that we got on freecycle in Yakima was way to small for him. It was about the size of all the three year olds bikes. I guess we know what to get him for Christmas.

All of the kids in the neighborhood lined up behind 2 fire trucks and after a small patriotic performance we were off. Spencer liked it for about the first minute and then realized he was pedaling uphill. He gave it all he had, but whereas he has never had much bike riding experience (shame on his mom) he tended to lean to one side or the other depending on the training wheels, and well, little plastic circle don't work as well as wheels. With a few pushes he continued on.

About 1/2 way through Jessi informed me she needed to go potty. One, I was so happy that she hadn't just gone in her clothes like normal. Two, It isn't the best time to get the urge. Luckily, on of the other residents lived just a block away so we made a quick detour. She made it too. Yea, I am so proud of her.

As soon as I got back to the crowd Spencer informed me he had to go potty. Now you can imagine I am a little frustrated as I just made one detour and didn't really want to have to have Bonnie (the person's house we used) take us all the way back again. So I took advantage of the fact that Spencer was a boy. We found some trees just outside the neighborhood and he did his thing.

When things slowed down we headed back to the Galbraiths house for fun in the sun. Our kids were once again mad at me for not bringing their swimsuits so they could play in the pool. Basically I justify this for two reasons. One, Jessi can't swim with her ears, and no matter how we try we can't get her to keep anything in them so she could swim. So basically pools are off limits to her. So I feel bad telling her no and then letting Spencer go. Can you see the dilemma? Second, I am paranoid around pools. I admit it. I think that is a little weird as I spent pretty much my entire high school years around a pool, but I really worry about the kids even dangling their hands in from the side. So I figure I need to get them in swimming lessons so that I don't have to worry. One more thing to add to the "To Do" list.

Anyhow, we are back home now and at 5:00 we have a BBQ at the Brady's house who also have a pool. (I told Spencer if I can find his old life jacket and if it still fits, he could swim. I am trying to meet him half way I guess.) I am so glad to have such wonderful friends out here. Jacob is doing his first day on-call and it is making it so much easier for me being so distracted and getting to enjoy such great company. Wish I could say the same for him. He called a little bit ago pretty stressed out. I guess that happens when you realize your on your own all night. (I guess he isn't completely on his on as a chief is in-house tonight, but essentially he does it on his on unless he needs help.)

Hope everyone is having a Happy 4th!! Me and the Kids sure are!!

P.S. If you read the last post without pictures, check again. I added some pictures of the wedding and our construction :)

No comments: