So my brother-in-law has just posted on his blog asking if any of us fellow readers get into American Idol as much as his wife does. Oh course I posted back that I am a fellow watcher. But I decided that doesn't quite cover it. My "junkieness" for American Idol can not be covered with a comment, so I decided I would need to dedicate a post to it.
I am an American Idol Junkie. I admit fully to this. I have watched it religiously since season 1. The only time I recall not caring about the finale was Season 3 as I didn't like any of the top 5 in that season. I even started voting during season 4. I own both of Clay Aiken's CD's and want to get Carrie Underwood's CD for my birthday (hint to Jacob).
Here is my opinion on previous winners. I think that America has gotten it right about 1/2 of the time. Season 1 - Kelly Clarkson - Right. Season 2 - Rueben Studdard - Wrong (Should have been Clay all the way!!!). Season 3 - Fantasia Bureno - Wrong (I can't stand her but the pickings were slim that year). Season 4 - Carrie Underwood - Right. Season 5 - Taylor Hicks - Wrong (Katherine McGhee was so much better, and who votes for a guy that looks like he is having a seizure while he is singing). Season 6 - Jordan Sparks - Right (although I was a big fan of Blake as well). This last paragraph only goes to show my American Idol Junkieness as no surfing the web was needed to remember all of the winners and runners-up.
Here is my opinion on the judging. I can't stand Paula Abdul. What a waste of a judge. If you can't be honest in your critique you shouldn't be judging. I am a Simon Cowbell fan, and I must say, it has been a nice change this season that he isn't being as mean in his brutal honesty. That is what I like about him though, he is honest in his critiquing and I almost always tend to agree with it. (I just wouldn't be so mean in saying it.) I mean, most of the judging is all for ratings so it really doesn't matter much but I just think that after all is said and done I tend to side more with Simon and pick the same people he does.
Sometimes I wonder how long this sensation can last. I mean we are on Season 7 for heavens sake. Especially if previous winners keep tanking (i.e. Taylor Hicks). But I love the idea of it all and I love watching it. So that is the Long and the Short of it. I should probably take this opportunity to thank my husband for putting up with this obsession of mine as he hates American Idol. Well, at least the American Idol season isn't quite as long as the NBA season, that's something :) But seriously, he is a good man for putting up with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment