Saturday, December 1, 2007

I'll be happy when....

I can remember numerous times in my life when I have said, or thought, I'll be happy... Some of those phrases have included the words; when I finish high school, when I leave on my mission, when I get a new companion, when I get home from my mission, when I get married, when I graduate from college, when I have a child, when I get into medical school, when I get out of medical school, and of course when I have a dime to my name. I was thinking about the many times I have been longing for tomorrow the other day and I realized that I am really happy now. Now I've always considered myself to be a pretty happy guy (though if you knew me in high school you would probably disagree...you'd be wrong), but Life is exceptionally good right now.

I live in the town that I love with a woman who saw too much of me during our first 3 years of marriage and too little of me during our last 4 and still loves me. I've got three kids who, for whatever reason, adore their daddy. I've got a future that is plotted out and excites me, and a past that is fun to look back on.

I just finished a rotation with a family physician here in Cedar and it was incredible. It's nice to find out that my chosen specialty is actually very fulfilling and enjoyable for me.

For the moment at least it's nice to see the grass on my side of the fence because it looks pretty green.