Sunday, April 3, 2011

And The Winner Is . . .

Charlotte.

Each year I put together a little Bracket group.  It gets a bit more loose each year.  We usually have between 9 and 15 participants.  This year we had 9 and a benchmark and the winner was my sister Charlotte.  The final standings were as follows (nobody picked UCONN or Butler to win so we're done as a group):



Group Results

 (Edit Members)
RNKENTRY, OWNERR64R32S16E8FFNCGCHAMPIONPPRTOTALPCT
1C'mon Aggies!C. Cantwell22016080801600Notre Dame070091.9
2Straight ChalkLefty250200120000Ohio St057072.7
3jhipworth 1J. Hepworth22022080000Kansas052051.9
4This is the yearD. Corry22020080000Ohio St050042.8
5rskdmt 1R. Corry210160120000Duke049038.2
6Doris in AccountingLefty22014080000Ohio St044017.7
7Fear the LeprechaunJ. Corry18016080000Pittsburgh042011.9
8Moving Home MadnessM. Corry23014040000Ohio St04109.7
9MaeganM. Corry22014040000Ohio St04007.8
10corrymark 1M. Corry1901400000Ohio St03301.7
C. Cantwell is my sister Charlotte.
Lefty is my cousin Tim who has two brackets but if you look closely (you can't from here of course) you will see that Straight Chalk is the benchmark entry I mentioned where he picked top seeds all the way through.  What that means is that we are all bad at making brackets except Charlotte.  I liken this to measuring your investments against the S&P 500 or the stock market as a whole.  Either that or you can look it as Vegas picks and in this case the house won big.
J. Hepworth is a friend, D, Corry, R, Corry, M, Corry, M. Corry, M, Corry are brothers, sister-in-law and wife.


At least I beat those M. Corrys.  


So why am I writing a blog post about the winner this year when I haven't in years past?  I thought you'd never ask.  I am shocked that Charlotte won and the margin of her victory amazes me even more.  Now if she had won because she picked Butler or VCU to do well I would have chalked it up to a crazy year, but she fanned on those two just like everybody else.  She won with UConn.


What you have to understand here is that Charlotte knows about as much about Basketball as I do about quilting. It's not that she doesn't have the opportunity to learn.  She's surround by family members who live and breathe sports, but is very adept as getting out of any conversation that might enlighten her with the finer points of roundball, heck she even has a brother-in-law that has a blog about sports (though it hasn't been updated since before the ipad).  I could take this quilting/basketball thing further, but I'm not going too.


Now I don't want to go all Rick Reilly on Charlotte's Jimmer, but she'll never make it at the next level.  Sure she was the best in our pool, but without the attention to the details she'll be riding the pine when she goes pro.


Congratulations Char.  I'll give you extra "pride points" if you can explain what I'm talking about in that last paragraph.

2 comments:

Mom C said...

So other than bragging rights, which I haven't heard yet, what does Charlotte get?
On the other end, Dad came home from the Dixie Invitational Saturday and when asked how they did, "oh we won," about as blase as you could be. They won all the relays, placed in almost everything and 4 girls qualified for State in the 100.
Basketball! pfft, let
s talk about Dad's favorite sport!

Charlotte said...

How did I miss this post?!?! Sad, so sad. I obviously was a flash in the pan, just as you predicted. Sigh.