Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Do guys do these things?

I've never taken part in any of these blog tags, but I liked this one because I've enjoyed reading the comments that people put next to the items they feel a need to justify. I've got lots of comments.

1. Started your own blog (2 actually, though Melissa seems to be trying to wrestle this one from me)
2. Slept under the stars (every summer night from age 5-19)
3. Played in a band (I played for one year then pretended to play for 2 more)
4. Visited Hawaii (not yet)
5. Watched a meteor shower (who hasn't)
6. Given more than you can afford to charity (I've never gone into debt for my charitable donations. I'm of the belief that this is the only way I can give more that I can afford )
7. Been to Disneyland (Melissa hasn't)
8. Climbed a mountain (Are you kidding me?)
9. Held a praying mantis (I'm pretty sure I did this as a kid, I think everybody does)
10. Sang a solo (every day in the shower)
11. Bungee jumped (I've never been able to justify the cost)
12. Visited Paris (not until we get to Brazil)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (does watching the perfect storm on DVD while sitting on a houseboat count?)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (if photography is an art then I have certainly taught myself an art as I know how to push the button, that said I don't think I'm a very good teacher)
15. Adopted a child (this is a dangerous one for those who have adopted a child if said child is old enough to read but not old enough to know he/she is adopted)
16. Had food poisoning (Only from food made in restaurants)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty (I'm waiting for the escalator)
18. Grown your own vegetables (I've also failed to grow my own share of vegetable, hence the 23 chipmunks buried in our backyard)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (see #12)
20. Slept on an overnight train (I've slept on an overnight bus)
21. Had a pillow fight (This is a weekly thing in our house)
22. Hitch hiked (um...no)
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill (I just started my first real job in July, it will take some time)
24. Built a snow fort (They tend to be pretty pathetic because I get claustrophobic pretty easily)
25. Held a lamb (Actually I've never held the whole lamb, but the part I did hold was rather tasty)
26. Gone skinny dipping (my morals never allowed me to do this with members of the opposite sex and my good sense helped me to see how stupid it would be to do this with guys)
27. Run a Marathon (I've never stuck an ice pick in my eye either)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (#12)
29. Seen a total eclipse (How do you miss these? It seems everybody is outside each time it comes around)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (this is somewhat more difficult in the east where you can't often see the horizon)
31. Hit a home run (I hit a double to right field in my only hit during my only year of little league)
32. Been on a cruise (That's where I met Paige and told my friends in high school that she was the first girl I ever kissed. She was real, but the kiss was a figment of my imagination)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (as opposed to seeing it out of person)
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (#12)
35. Seen an Amish community (it's pathetic that we haven't been up to Amish Acres yet)
36. Taught yourself a new language (I've been working on Spanish so I'm counting this one)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (I don't like this one because I'm pretty satisfied right now, but I would like a truck and a Polaris RZR to put in the back of it. Of course that would require me to build a carport on the side of the house and we just don't have the money for that stuff, but I'm still pretty satisfied currently)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person (#12, and #33)
39. Gone rock climbing (I've been rappelling a bunch of times, but that climbing thing hasn't really appealed to me)
40. Seen Michelangelo's David (#12)
41. Sung karaoke (heaven's no)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt (We'll probably do this again before all that Europe stuff too)
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (I've given Strangers money but I'm not too sure they used it for a meal...)
44. Visited Africa (not too high on my list of priorities)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (yeah with my siblings when I was a kid)
46. Been transported in an ambulance (I've never even been a patient in an ER)
47. Had your portrait painted (but Spencer draws me all the time)
48. Gone deep sea fishing (Maybe next year)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person (#12, seriously what's with all the Europe references? Where's the questions about Machu Pichu, The Amazon, or Iguacu falls? Now those are some worthy destinations)
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower (I give up)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (in the tub)
52. Kissed in the rain (seriously what married man hasn't been forced to do this by his wife?)
53. Played in the mud (every chance I get)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater (I've driven to them lots of times, but I've never seen a movie there)
55. Been in a movie (Usually I'm the director, but occasionally Melissa takes over and I get in on the action)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China (what's so great about the wall? It's a giant wall that stretches across a continent, big deal.)
57. Started a business (hoping to never do this)
58. Taken a martial arts class (I don't know if Capoeira counts as Martial arts, but I took a Capoeira class in Brazil)
59. Visited Russia (not until we get to Hawaii, Brazil, Europe, and Africa)
60. Served at a soup kitchen (Sadly no)
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (hence the title of the post)
62. Gone whale watching (I do this all the time and something tells me I'm watching in the wrong places)
63. Got flowers for no reason (I got them for Melissa)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (not as much as I should)
65. Gone sky diving (Definitely a top 10 moment of my life)
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp (Europe again?)
67. Bounced a check (I am way too anal for this one)
68. Flown in a helicopter (Engine failure makes me a little afraid to do this anytime soon, there's no coasting in with a helicopter)
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (then sold it on ebay for $300 and bought a universal weight set that I gave away to a neighbor in Yakima. I sure miss that toy)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial (Ah Good old American landmarks)
71. Eaten Caviar (fish eggs? I don't think so)
72. Pieced a quilt (I am a heterosexual male, no offense to any of you men out there who have pieced a quilt. Wait a minute no male is going to read this post all the way to #72)
73. Stood in Times Square (We'll get to that hopefully before Hawaii)
74. Toured the Everglades (I've been to Okefenokee swamp. I think that should count)
75. Been fired from a job (not in this lifetime)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London (Europe is quickly moving below Russia on the list of places to visit)
77. Broken a bone (I did break my nose, but that doesn't really qualify as a "bone")
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (I've never even been on a under-the-speed-limit motorcycle)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person (We listened to NKOTB all the way there and all the way back with our exchange student Hajime)
80. Published a book (I'm working on my skills through blog posts like these)
81. Visited the Vatican (Isn't that in Europe?)
82. Bought a brand new car (Only after the Probe died on the road between Tooele and WVC, I don't plan to buy a new car ever again)
83. Walked in Jerusalem (Definitely want to do this before Europe)
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (I'm from Cedar City, UT and we have our own newspaper so this one isn't too difficult)
85. Read the entire Bible (I have according to the Gideons)
86. Visited the White House (I've driven past it. Does that count?)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (Ah the joys of growing up in rural Utah)
88. Had chickenpox (I think this one's a yes, but I'm not entirely sure)

89. Saved some one's life (I'm not too sure how instrumental I was in the life saving, but none of my code patients have passed on my time....yet)
90. Sat on a jury (I hear the ticking every day and it's driving me insane. When will my time come. It's like waiting for the Code siren to go off.)
91. Met someone famous – (this is very ambiguous because what qualifies as famous? I’ve met people that are “Utah famous”)
92. Joined a book club (I leave these to Melissa)
93. Lost a loved one (We lost Mark once coming down from the cabin, but we found him a short time later)
94. Had a baby (I'm really beginning to think I'm of the wrong sex to be doing this)
95. Seen the Alamo in person (I don't like Texas)
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake (It was more like bobbing)
97. Been involved in a law suit (not yet)
98. Owned a cell phone (I sure don't want to)
99. Been stung by a bee (Only once)
100. Read an entire book in one day (one day I read six, and Spencer loved every one of them)

So there you have it folks. I'm not going to tag anybody because just having read this far I think you've suffered enough.

I think that for the next sewing group night I'll make up my own list of 100 things that all men should do. I can assure you the only reference to Europe on that list will be driving on the Autobahn in a Ferrari (or the Italian sports car of your choice).

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Nice.

And don't knock Europe buddy. The food alone is worth what it costs to get there.

Heather said...

I'm with you on the caviar bit. Who was the first person to see a fish do that, and think...hey, I'm going to eat that!?

Amber Lee said...

Jake, I'm so glad you took the time to write that one, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and got multiple good laughs. You're a crack-up! I agree that there are way too many Europe references and even considered changing some of them when I made it, but decided to just leave it as is. I had a million comments to your comments as I was going along, but now I can't remember any of them, except that the #72 one made me LOL. I sure miss you guys and wish I'd had more chance to get to know you while you were here!