Tuesday, November 25, 2008

4th and 18 no more (and an update sent by email for those who don't check the blog)

At long last I can wash from my mind the visions of Austin Collie getting behind the Utes defense on 4th and 18 for a gain of half the field. The last second touchdown of 2006 is but a memory now. I'm betting any Cougar fan would gladly trade those two games for what Ute fans are experiencing now. Though I must admit it's not quite so exciting for me the second time around.

We were fortunate enough to watch the game from start to finish at a friend's house. Being surrounded by BYU fans made it a little difficult for me to properly celebrate with each Max Hall miscue, but that's probably a good thing. I was very nervous when the Utah offense seemed to shut-down soon after the second quarter commenced. I had visions of a blow-out when the Cougars started to get on track and got a few defensive stops. When the second half started and the Cougars pulled within 3 I was pretty sure the game was going to get out of hand. The Utes hadn't done anything on offense, excepting one long pass play after an interception, for 45 minutes (real time not game time). Then, inexplicably, Max Hall decided to put his stamp on the game. The Cougars were running all over the field. So it is only natural that they would want to balance out their game (people try to do this with their financial portfolios all the time by selling their big gainers to buy more losers) by drawing more pass plays. At this point I think the Utes had already batted down 3 balls. We all know what happened next. For those of you who don't, Max Hall threw 4 more interceptions and fumbled the ball. The Utes capitalized and my memories were washed clean.

I think the Utes played a good game, but not a great game. Some of the turnovers were good defensive plays and some were just poor decisions (or mistakes) by the BYU offense. My sympathies to all you Cougar fans out there. I'm trying not to gloat, but I have two years of pent up rage just now being released. I'm also still perturbed by all the attention this Cougar team got during the offseason.

Now that I've bored half of you and offended the other half let's see what's going on here in South Bend.

I'm in my last week of OB call and while very taxing physically I have enjoyed the month for the most part. The attending physicians I have worked with have been wonderful. They've been very receptive to my questions and I feel like I have learned a great deal over the past few weeks. I haven't decided for sure whether or not I want to do OB as part of my practice for the next 30 years, but I'm leaning more toward that avenue now than I was a month ago. We'll see how I feel about it when I'm called in for my own patients rather than being on the floor for each 24 hour call.

Melissa continues to discover new aches and pains with each passing day. I keep expecting to come home from call to a house in disorder and children sacked out in front of the TV, but it just hasn't happened. I'm not sure why I expect this as it never happened with her 3 previous pregnancies either. She has kept herself busy with a variety of books and sewing projects as well as helping Spencer with his homework, encouraging Jessi in her lifelong battle with the potty, and keeping Kristian from breaking everything n the house. She is very happy here and has the best support group I could wish for. She constantly tells me of these wonderful women who continue to support and comfort her at playgroup, sewing group and whatever other group she can fit into the week.

Spencer is still loving school, though he does enjoy his Saturdays. He and I went over to the school the other day to fly his kite. I haven't flown a kit since I was a kid and I've got to tell you it was a lot of fun. His kite is a cheap flimsy thing we got from the dollar store, but it was very fun for both of us. I may have to buy a nicer kite when spring rolls around.

Jessi's relationship with the potty is on the rocks once again. She has done so well for the past few months, but apparently she's just not into it at the moment. She has a cold and her ears have been draining so I'm hoping that her her potty issues will resolve when her cold does.

As I mentioned previously Kristian gets into everything. It feels strange to us that he will turn 2 next week. The last time we had a 2 year we also had a 6 month old so this feels a little different. His babbling is becoming a little more understandable, but he has found that temper tantrums are the way to go most of the time. Compared to our other kids Kristian is exceptionally strong (and aggressive) If we leave the bathroom doors open he climbs until he can just reach the faucet then proceeds to pull himself up to the counter so that he can get into the cabinet and play with the toothbrushes. I was certain somebody was helping him get up there until I saw the feat for myself.

We very much enjoyed Mark and Krista's whirlwind visit for interviews. I think they enjoyed themselves as well and we are pulling for them to make South Bend home (for 3 years anyway). We are also looking forward to Doug and Maegan's visit for Thanksgiving (though I will spend most of their time here within the warm confines of the hospital).

We wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and hope this finds you well.

No comments: