We’ll start with Christmas. We spent Christmas in Cedar City and it was wonderful. I haven’t spent the entire Christmas season in Cedar City in 10 years. It’s good to be home. The kids had a great time playing with their cousins and they really got into Christmas this year. Spencer was very excited and helped Jessi to understand what was going on. Christmas is so much more fun with kids. My siblings and I decided to do some remodeling in my parents’ basement for their Christmas present (this is what we do when we can’t decide on a purchasable gift for them). The remodel turned out to be quite a deal and we had some minor (or major depending on who’s telling this story) setbacks, but when Melissa and I left on the 28th most of the sheetrock and the first mudding was done. Apparently Robert has had his hands full finishing up a lot of the work while everyone else is gone (he also put in a lot of time before Christmas with the plans). I’m told that it looks pretty good now and I’m excited to see it when we get back in a few weeks.
As I mentioned above we left Cedar on the 28th of December in order to start my ER rotation in South Bend in January. The drive across the country wasn’t too bad. We spent the first night in Grand Junction in the Esplin’s house. With Ryan and Becca being in Cedar for the New Year holiday we missed them, but Spencer sure enjoyed playing with Evan’s toys and Jessi loved sleeping in the princess room. We drove to Hayes Kansas on the 29th and took the kids to IHOP for dinner to celebrate our 7th anniversary. We’re actually hoping to have a real anniversary celebration in 3 years (I’m trying to convince Melissa that we should go spend that one in the Caribbean so any stories of wonderful winter seaside trips to help my effort would be welcome).
We had a wonderful treat on the next day of our trip. We drove to St. Louis and spent the holiday with the MacDonnells. The MacDonnells are our good friends from school and Greg is doing his Anesthesia residency there. You long-time email readers (that better be most of you) may remember the MacDonnells from previous emails and some of the adventures Spencer had with their twin daughters Rio and Rylee. We had a wonderful getting reacquainted and they were wonderful to put us up for a couple of nights.
We drove into South Bend on the 1st in a horrible snow storm. Thankfully we made it safely to our apartment just north of South Bend. There was so much snow that they were just plowing it into the middle of the streets making it impossible to make a left turn except at intersections. The kids enjoyed watching the tractors and giant snow blowers put all of the snow into dump trucks two days later.
My rotation is going well. I definitely do not enjoy emergency medicine as much as I once did. I don’t hate it, but the endless amount of work as well as the move em out attitude that is necessary in the ER is hard on me. It is nice to be in a busy ER where the physicians actually want me to do any stitching that comes in so they don’t have to spend the time to do it themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment